View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 02:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Then let the parents take care of it. You are not here to solve all of the world’s problems. When I was growing up, my parents would have thanked the coach for his response if I used that language. If my parents heard me use that language, my parents would have slapped me on their own. It is not my job as an umpire to tell people how to discipline their kids and what is appropriate. If it is assault, let the authorities take care of it. I also have no idea how hard he hit the kid or if the kid was bruised or damaged because of the hit. All I know is I would not likely see something like this because I would be many feet away from hearing and many feet from seeing such a thing. The action took place in the dugout, not in the middle of the field.

Peace
You may want to rethink your stance on this. I happen to agree 100% with you!

The slap in question was no harder than that of slapping a mosquito. It did not bruise or otherwise damage the kid. My dad would have whooped my behind good for this. My dad would have authorized any adult supervisor to do the same thing. The problem lies with parents coddling and spoiling their children, a trend that has been occurring ever since....well, I don't want to start that argument again. Let's just say recent generations have been way too lenient in raising children, preferring to give them "time outs" rather than real discipline.

I know that it is not politically correct to advocate this coaches' behavior, but I've never been a subscriber to political correctness.

I also agree with Tee, that it is not my responsibility to interject myself into these kind of situations. If it had been out in plain sight, and actual physical abuse (which this little slap could in no way be confused with), then yes, eject the coach and report his actions.

The little brat in this case needed to have his mouth washed out with soap. It's one thing for kids hanging out together in private to say cuss words. That is normal behavior for teens and pre-teens. Proper parenting would prevent the use of this same language in a public setting.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25