View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 09:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
The only reason I asked the question in the first place because there was a FED thread on the basketball board that was somewhat along the same lines.
The difference is, I think, that the FED has explicitly instructed basketball officials that they don't want that kinda language coming from the benches. I don't know if the FED baseball rulesmakers have been as explicit also.

This was from a basketball POE in the 2004-05 NFHS rule book:
INAPPROPRITE LANGUAGE- "The committee is worried about inappropriate language by players, bench personnel, coaches, officials and spectators. Each group has a responsibility to the game and to each other to demonstrate civility and citizenship. The team huddle is not a safe haven for bad language. Players are not permitted to 'let off steam' by using profanity, even if it is not directed at an opponent or official. Being angry at oneself is no excuse."

Iow, in basketball, if the officials hear an F-shot anywhere, they're supposed to nail the yapper. Zero tolerance. If it comes from the bench, both the yapper and the head coach also get charged with "T"s. The argument in the basketball thread was whether officials really follow that FED directive or not in real life.