View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes33
I had a situation the other and needed to vent. Local USSSA men's tourney and I'm working the winners bracket. I'm busting my tale all night doing one-man and most of the teams have been great. We are in the bottom of the fifth inning and the score is tied with a runner on second and two outs. Batter ropes a shot to left and the kid fires a rope to home and I call the guy out. He gets up and starts to the dugout but stops and calls me a *ucking faggot! I ejected him immediately and then the fireworks started. They did not have anyone to replace him so they had to take an automatic out that cost them the game in the 7th. I heard it all the way to the car and I'm really disappointed in the way the league administrator did nothing to sqaush the situation. I'm so tired of people making excuses to justify this behavior!
I hope you are not doing mens fastball, winner side as one man system, if you are MY HAT'S OFF TO YOU. I umpire men's & ladies fastball up here in Ontario and as of a couple years ago the men's league had the same rule which included player shortage of 1, injury and ejection. One of my fellow umps had basically the same type of incident with severe backlash, he was young & inexperience and didn't think of forfeit at the time. This was not the only incident of similar ejections where a team was left with 8 players and play continued. Before the next season started during our spring meetings we as an association put in a clause to every league we looked after stating that any team who numbers fall below the required number to play with by book rule, (fastball 9 and slopitch 10 or 11) due to an ejection, will forfeit the game. After a bit of back & forth haggling all leagues except one changed their constitutions to follow suit. The other league has since folded due to lack of players.