View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

You guys are getting so balled up in side issues, you've completely lost track of the original question.

On plays where the timing of the out matters, the time that matters is when the players made the out, not when the umpire called the out. Just in case it needs to be pointed out again, the players make the out on an appeal play when they make a proper appeal. And, again, just in case it needs to be pointed out again, when umpires consult with each other to get the call right, this does not affect when the players actually made the out.

Side issues about judgment, about umpiring mechanics, (e.g. not rushing the call) etc. have no bearing whatsoever on the question at hand.

And, for the most absurd argument made in this thread, there is no time being added to the clock. Most timed games must complete an inning that has started. The inning started before time expired, since the inning started with the final out of the previous inning.

But, as I said before, I don't keep game time with seconds precision. Two seconds remain = time expired as far as I am concerned.