View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Is the mechanic in the book? If it is not in the book then you will have different points of view on this. Also when I talked to Minor League guys and fellow college guys, I did not ever hear of "one size fits all" mechanic with a ringing consensus. Now I am not disputing this was an issue on the NCAA playoff level, but I did not read anywhere where something was adopted across the board. Guys that work playoffs get a different set of directives sometimes than everyone else. Also, what works for NCAA does not necessarily apply for all other levels. I know in my state we do things differently than what is stated in the NF book on purpose. So what you just described might go completely out of the window if you are not working an NCAA game. I also know what happens in one conference can greatly be different from another conference. There is an NCAA conference that requires one of the base umpires to use an indicator along with the PU and you know how that subject gets thrown around here.

Peace
Jeff,

Agreed for the most part. However, many HS groups STILL use the outdated Fed mechanics.

PBUC is about ready to release a new Red Book (May be out now). Hopefully they have included more of the evaluation course mechanics into the book or will release them on the web site at some point. I would look for this to be updated in the 2007 or 2008 CCA guide (Tim C may have input on that).

Use what you want. I can tell you from experience that using this mechanic one should NEVER have a crew mechanic issue with an uncaught third strike. It works - why are you fighting it?