View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is all great, but who cares what the pros teach. This was a Little League game and what is taught at the pro level is involving a much smaller number of people. I would not suggest you do anything the pros do unless you have confirmed this from the people you work for. Now this is just an opinion and you should feel free to do your own thing. The Eddings situation seemed to be caused by a signal that I have never seen used. I just know as a PU, I never say anything on a close play. I look for help from my partners (with a non-verbal signal) to tell me if the ball hit the ground or not. I have a catch. Not sure we are going to have video replay to review 100 times to see if the ball hit the ground or not.

Peace
Jeff,

I could not disagree with you more. The mechanic is taught by both pro schools and every clinic I have attended.

The reasoning behind the mechanic is sound - ensure everyone is on the same page in regard to an uncaught third strike.

It's your choice, but I know for a fact that the NCAA region & super region umpires were evaluated on this mechanic in 2006.