Thread: Safe or out
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Safe or out

This occurred in a men's SP softball game. Runner is going into third sliding. He realizes he is going in way too hard and grabs the base to hang on. His momentum causes the base to come dislodged and both he and the base end up in foul territory. He actually beat the throw, but the 3rd baseman kept his glove (with the ball) on the runner the whole time. In my opinion, he intentionally pulled the base off because he knew he was going to overslide it. HP umpire (it was his call) ruled him safe. It's been eating at me because I would have called him out. Had he not dislodged the base and held it going into foul territory, he would have been out. To avoid conflict with the HP umpire, I just kept quiet, but I'm really curious what the correct call should be. Every time you think you've seen it all somethig new comes up. Thanks.

I must not have been clear in describing the play. I am certain that the runner INTENTIONALLY pulled the bag off when he realized he was going to overslide the base. It did not accidentally come dislodged. He hung on to it and pulled it off. Maybe he is still safe regardless, but had he NOT pulled it off and overslid the bag while the 3rd baseman had a glove on him, he would have been out. He basically extended 3rd base into foul territory. Not trying to seem airheaded, but with it being obviously intentional, I wondered what the rulilng should be.

Last edited by kab9; Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 01:47pm.