View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

For those who care, I have been gone because I recently discovered a problem with these old bones. Suffice to say, don't ignore your annual physical or when you have to get up many times at night. While some may be jubilant at the news, the doctors are not giving me the news I had hoped for. Whatever happens, I will try to maintain my dignity and impart what I can when I can.

Now twice written regarding the recent topic - do whatever you want. If you are comfortable taking your mask off with your right hand and then transferring it, go for it. I thought that the purpose of this board was to correct mistakes and steer amateur umpiring towards a more professional (meant in only the best way) style. Evaluations are based on performance and appearance, when it comes down to selecting the staff for big games, those in the know usually choose those who conform to standards. While I can certainly call an out with my left hand and it hurts no one, I was taught differently and know better.

The one caveat to removing your mask with your left hand - if you have a debilitating injury that prevents this action, choose what suits your safety and comfort. I suppose I could come up with a supporting rationale for every alternative mechanic, but I will yield to the Secretary on this one. 'Tis no point arguing proper mechanics when the board already recognizes why it is accepted. Promotions are won and lost by small mistakes.