View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 02:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

As usual, you over-complicate things, Rut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
For one a coach might complain to the official that has no idea what happen or is not looking in that area. You need to let the coach know you cannot respond intelligently to something you have no idea what took place.
I agree the official needs to speak intelligently. Telling him/her that you were out of position isn't intelligent.

You've left it open that perhaps the official should be looking in that area. Instead, the official could say, "Coach, I had a strong matchup and followed the ball carrier to the hoop."

Never admit incompetency.

Quote:
I have told coaches this many times when a call was right in front of my partner and I have no idea what was called.
So you tell him you weren't in the right position to see something your P is responsible for? Of course you're not in the right position! Where you should be is dictated by your responsibilities, not your P's. If you do see something your P is responsible for, it's a bonus if the crew grabs it.

Quote:
Also I want the coach to ask the appropriate official the question instead of nagging me or non-calling officials about calls we could not have seen.
I agree with this. It's simple: "He can answer your question better than I can."

Quote:
I would hope my partners would say a similar thing when I make a call that he/she clearly did not see. Also this would vary a bit if I am dealing with a much greener partner or partners and I may be more supportive with comments.
If you're with a newbie, and you, the senior, more experienced official of the crew, admit to being out of position, I see a coach unsure of officiating ability.

Quote:
I tend to pregame that as individual officials we should explain our own calls if there is not a double whistle and if our partners did not see why we made a call in the first place.
Ok, this is nothing but Refereeing 101.

Quote:
I have made this comment several times and I cannot think of one time it got me in trouble. As a matter of fact it kept me out of more trouble and added credibility to the crew.
Of course it worked; you didn't admit to incompetency!

Quote:
The second one I have said many times as well. When a coach starts talking about moving screens, over the back calls or reaches as an example. I tell them flat out I do not call those things. I also explain what I mean and what the rule actually is if I have time.
Over the back? Reaches? What are those, again? In the coaches mind, most likely an over the back call is his player being displaced. He doesn't care what you name the supposed illegal act, just that it gets penalized. If it truly was a 'push' (and by all means should have been a foul), but the coach calls it an 'over the back', are you going to tell him that you don't call OTBs? You're better off to say, "There was no advantage", or "We've called it the same at each end, play on."