View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 04:52pm

It wasn't the determining factor, he just didn't stand out as above average to me.

I don't champion the weak, or necessarily those of the small diamond. I do champion umpires at all levels who strive to improve and become better officials.

I call them just the way they are. Some are good, some are not, some are great, and some are terrible. I have no respect for those who don't try to get better.

I don't think it is a positive attribute to have never worked sub-varsity games. These are games, as you admitted, that are much harder to work. The small diamond games are far more stressful than Varsity or above games. More stupid, third-world crap happens in them, and those who umpire them gain valuable experience because of it.

Tee, from reading your posts this past year, I can tell that you really do fit the cliche of "you start out perfect, and improve from there."

Like I said before, there are umpires here who are just like you. Too good (perceived self-image only) to work youth ball. Varsity only for them. Some of these clowns are horsesh*t umpires too, but think they are really great. They shouldn't be given games above JV, but only get Varsity assignments and great playoff games.

Now, I'm sure that you are as great as you say you are. After all, you have pro baseball experience. But I don't understand the reason anyone thinks they are too good to work lower level ball, if called upon to do so. I know, your association only does high school. We don't do it that way here. You can request not to work youth ball if you so choose, but most people work whatever ball they are presented with after the HS season ends. And these guys are usually better umpires than the stuck up ones who won't work lower than Varsity.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25