Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 02:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Don't forget about the things you shouldn't say:

- that wasn't my call
- I wasn't in the right position to see that
- we don't call that
I disagree with the last two on your list.

For one a coach might complain to the official that has no idea what happen or is not looking in that area. You need to let the coach know you cannot respond intelligently to something you have no idea what took place. I have told coaches this many times when a call was right in front of my partner and I have no idea what was called. Also I want the coach to ask the appropriate official the question instead of nagging me or non-calling officials about calls we could not have seen. I would hope my partners would say a similar thing when I make a call that he/she clearly did not see. Also this would vary a bit if I am dealing with a much greener partner or partners and I may be more supportive with comments. I tend to pregame that as individual officials we should explain our own calls if there is not a double whistle and if our partners did not see why we made a call in the first place. I have made this comment several times and I cannot think of one time it got me in trouble. As a matter of fact it kept me out of more trouble and added credibility to the crew.

The second one I have said many times as well. When a coach starts talking about moving screens, over the back calls or reaches as an example. I tell them flat out I do not call those things. I also explain what I mean and what the rule actually is if I have time.

Peace