View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
WOW, now THAT'S a generalization if I've ever heard one. I've had tons of training (not that it's done me any good) and I do LL as well as NF and NCAA. I know of probably a dozen college umpires that volunteer for LL as well as literally every NF umpire in our local board! In 2004 I did a LL Regional and many of those umpires did other levels of umpiring as well.

I had a boss that used to say, "All generalizations, including this one, are false."
I was trying to point out that we might be unfair holding the umpires in a few TV shots to the NCAA/ASA/NFHS mechanics because
1) "as I remember from years ago and a few recent observations"; many are volunteers who are there as recognition of their ability and
2) I don't remember any mechanics training at the league, district or state levels and
3) the mechanics might be different.
Thanks for stating the other side of the coin, and please correct me if my perceptions are no longer the norm.
I frequently work with an umpire who is highly skilled and I think LLWS or Regional level, who does not adjust to NFHS mechanics or practices; and is apparently used to not having structured mechanics.