View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Ah, see, while I agree that the NFHS wants fouls in these situations enforced from the 20 (and, for the record, blech!), with no foul on this play, I see no reason why B wouldn't take over at the B2. See NF 4-3-2.
I do not see how 4-3-2 says B would take over at the 2. Here it is.

4-3-2. When the out-of-bounds spot is between the goal lines, the ball shall be put in play at the inbounds spot unless a forward pass is involved. If the out-of-bounds spot is behind a goal line, it is a safety, field goal or touchback. If the ball touches a pylon, it is out of bounds behind the goal line.

The OOB's spot is betweeen the goal lines but why are you saying then that the IB's spot is the 2? Do you not agree that the final result is a TB in the play I am describing? The momemtum exception is only in effect "where the ball is declared dead in his team's possession or it goes out of bounds in the end zone, the ball belongs to B at the spot where the pass or fumble was intercepted or recovered or the kick was caught or recovered." That did not happen and that is why the momentum exception is not in place.
Going golfing! Check back in a couple of hours.