View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Here is some more support of the penalty being administered from the 20.

From the Redding Study Guide, "When the final result of the play is neither a TB or safety, the rules do not specifically address how to enforce the penalty. The run may end in the EZ without the ball being declared dead there." This is your play. Continuing the quote, "The ball may be fumbled in the EZ and subsequently recovered in the field of play, or go OOB's beween the goal lines. Without a COP, when the run ends in the EZ, penalties are inforced under the ABOPriciple. When the run ends in the end zone after a change of possession, the basic spot is the succeeding spot. In all cases the succeeding spot associated with the run related to the foul will be the 20 yard line."

Also, as I stated before since the ball was not declared dead in his team's possession or go OOB's in the EZ, the momentum exception does NOT apply. This is why the result of the play is a TB.

There is another play similar in which the player possesses the ball at the 3, momentum takes him into the EZ, face mask and he fumbles ball OOB's at the 2. The result is a TB. I cannot find it for the life of me right now. It is 12:10 and I'm done for the night. I am sure others will jump in tomorrow. I'll check after I'm done golfing.