Thread: SEC officials
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 13, 2002, 10:44pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by HogFan
You have no idea how much expierience I have had with basketball. Playing or watching. You are right. I have never officiated a basketball game. Does that make me unintelligent as to the rules and the quality of officiating? I really do not think so.
If you read a driving manual, but had never driven a car, would you consider yourself a good driver -- or a good evaluator of other drivers? Of course not.

It follows that it is difficult for those who have never officiated to be able to evaluate the officiating in a certain game.

The rules address the block/charge play in a few simple paragraphs, but no block/charge is the same. It takes experience and understanding of the game to know what the correct call is.

Also, officials do not have the benefit of replays -- they have to make the call or not make it in real time, with no "do overs".

If you are interested, please check out http://start.officiating.com and think about officiating a few games -- I'm sure that we'd like to hear about your experiences.