View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
OK, you took the time to type this all in so I'll take the time to respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
2. Avoid being defensive. This is one of the hardest things to do for me. If a coach asks you a question. Answer that question. Here is an example of what NOT to do. EX:
COACH: Hey Bill you are not allowed to put a forearm on a player and reroute them are you?
REFEREE: Bob I didn't think your player re-routed them.
Primetime no no. Here is how I think it should have went with the coach asking the same thing:
REFEREE: No they can't
The coach here might either concede and feel like he won this battle because he knows you know what play he was talking about, and that's is fine, we do know what play he is talking about and we are not there to debate with him. Then again the coach might ask about that particular play and then you just tell him and try to move on.
Absolutely disagree. If you saw no foul then say so, that grinds the debate to an immediate halt. All he can say is "You didn't see THAT?" And you can say "nope".

End of discussion.

Doing it your way leaves the point open for discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64

6.Defuse Animosity. Let's face it coaches think we are satan's spawn sent here to make their life a living hell.
Well, no, they just want to win. The good ones will try & work us to get that win, that bad ones think we're there to make them suffer. In any case it's up to us to control them, not the other way around.