View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 06:19pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
Now what do we say to coaches when they wanna know why that wasn't a foul, when we all really know by rule it is.
If I miss something that I know was a foul, but for whatever reason I missed it, the coach is going to hear, "Coach, I think you're probably right - I missed it."

However, on the plays you describe, I disagree that we "know" it is a foul. Advantage / Disadvantage still applies - even to shooters. We have to protect the shooter, but if the contact is marginal and the ball goes in the hole was there really an advantage? In my opinion it's not.

So, if a coach really questioned a play like that - begging for the "and 1" - I would say something like, "Coach, I don't have a foul on that and I'm not going to on either end."

After that, just make sure that you are consistent.

Note that I don't agree that every time the ball goes in the hole we can't have a foul. However, we have to get away from calling the marginal "and 1s" that are simply game interrupters. One of the worst calls is when a player makes a monster dunk and the official comes up with a soft "and 1" - don't stop the momentum of the game.