View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a call to be made here?

This happened quite a few years ago in a college game...
R2 trying to score on a single. As he is approaching and rounding 3B, imagine F2, in front of the plate, mask discarded, knees bent, hands in front of his body, he appears to be awaiting the impending throw. Now the runner has rounded 3B and is maybe 60 feet from home, coming full bore. All of a sudden F2 stands straight up, dropping his hands to his side, maybe a disgusted look on his face...giving the unmistakable appearance that the throw was cut off or went to another base. Seeing this, the runner naturally puts on the auto-pilot and pulls up into a jog for the last 40-50 feet. But when he is 15-20 feet away F2, still just standing there, all of a sudden reaches out to catch the throw and tag the jogging runner. The runner was totally faked out.

Is there any call to be made here, except 'out'? I know this was a college game, but I'm asking particularly for FED, because I know there are times that you are not allowed to pretend there is a play when there really isn't (i.e. the fake tag without the ball). But can you do the opposite....pretend there isn't a play when there really is? Is the defense gaining an unfair advantage here?

Any thoughts?