View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Under certain conditions, I sureasheck would give a coach a "T" for that. If the coach did that deliberately to distract an opponent, and it worked....or if the coach did something that directly causes a turnover, as in the situation above, I'm gonna call it every time. Imo, it's unsporting and unethical behavior on the coach's part to try and gain an unfair advantage with unsporting actions like that.

Now, what would you do in those situations?
The rulebook of course says if deem unsporting and unethical, then a "t" must be given to the coach. As for me, since this is a rare situation, I would probably judge the coach's behavior according to the level of basketball. If this was a grade school game (3rd, 4th, 5th, and even 6th grader), then I'll probably nail him with a "t". But since we are talking about high school ball here, the player must have been really impaired or dumb to listen to the opponent's coach and actually giving him the ball. Come on now, the player must take some responsibilities for his action for turning the ball over.

Fans in the stands often scream "shoot the ball" or say words deliberately to create an advantage for their team. When we hear it, do we always penalize the fans for such action? Even when we do decide to penalize the fans, we would probably do this once in every so many times that we hear it. So what constitute the referees for penalizing the coach and not the fans if both people were to say the same thing? And why is it that a defender can scream "dead" or "ball" when the dribble is dead and what makes that sporting vs. "give me the ball" or "shoot the ball" as unsporting? I am interested to know what you guys think.