View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Batter is out and runners return with runners on second and first and the ball is a delayed dead ball call. Let the runner run until all action ceases. If he is put out at a succeeding base, ignore the interference. If he advances past second or third. Return him to first or second. Less than two outs runner from third and BI, runner is DECLARED out and ball is immediately dead. Two outs, batter is always out in both situation.
I don't think you're reading this rule correctly. If the runner is attempting second or third, as soon as the attempt on the runner is unsuccessful, ball is dead, batter is out, and runners return. The text in bold is directly out of the FED dead/delayed dead ball table. I guess the question then is when should PU kill the play. I think as soon as the attempt to put out the stealing runner fails.

For example, R1 stealing, throw into center field. R1 hops up and advances to third or home with possible plays at either base. If you're just going to send him back to first anyway, why all the unnecessary running and throwing?