View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

4.43.5 SITUATION A: Is it traveling if A1 falls to the floor: (a) while holding the ball; or (b) after being airborne to catch a pass or control a rebound? Ruling: Yes in both (a) and (b).

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
i disagree, though i see your point. think about a player that dives for the ball catches it hits the ground and slides 5 ft. this is not a travel(momentum rule). when big guys go up for a rebound it is very difficult at times to land on 2 ft. i give the rebounder the benifit of the doubt. especially when his feet did not hit the ground first.

bsktballref-i might be taking your ruling out of context-but from what you wrote a player lying on the ground then obtains the ball would be traveling.
You officiate D1 basketball and you don't know that a rebounder travels when he catches the ball in flight and then falls to the floor?

That is un****ing believable!

A player diving for a ball or a player who gains possession while in the floor are completely different situations than the scenario presented. The original post is traveling in the NF and the NCAA.

Do you own a rule book?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith