View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 09:19pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
i disagree, though i see your point. think about a player that dives for the ball catches it hits the ground and slides 5 ft. this is not a travel(momentum rule). when big guys go up for a rebound it is very difficult at times to land on 2 ft. i give the rebounder the benifit of the doubt. especially when his feet did not hit the ground first.

bsktballref-i might be taking your ruling out of context-but from what you wrote a player lying on the ground then obtains the ball would be traveling.

traveling question: a2 receives a pass from a1, drbbles picks up the ball with both feet on the ground. any foot can be a pivot right! a2 picks up right foot pivots on left foot puts right foot down 1 step in front of him picks up left foot and lays the ball in. is this a travel?

First, your traveling question: No this is not traveling, because A2 released the ball for a pass or shot before his left foot returned to the floor.

Second, to the more important discussion, when the big guys go up for rebounds: The only benifit of the doubt you can give to the rebounder is whether or not he had control of the ball before his tuckus hits the floor. I do not understand how it being difficult for a rebounder to land with two feet on the floor has any bearing on the play. Once again your a trying to apply a philosophy instead of applying the rules.

And to head off any discussion of the application of advantage/disadvantage to this play: It is not applicable. Advantage/disadvantage applys only to fouls and not violations.

If a A1 gains control of the ball with both feet off of the floor and when returning to the floor A1 falls down while holding the ball or lands on his tuckus first before his feet hit the floor, A1 has committed a traveling floor. Sometimes this is the ending to a spectacular play to gain control of the ball, but that is just the way the ball bounces. Just call the traveling violation and put the ball back into play. And do not lose any sleep over the call. This play happens thousands of times a day everyday of the basketball season.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio