View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
I agree he was very, very good. He was rock solid, had a perfectly appropriate strikezone, and as best as I could tell, never came close to missing a pitch.

He loses a couple of style points in my book for his fairly robotic, softball-style strike and out mechanics. And his shirt didn't quite fit over that +POS chest protector with 5,000 rivets.

In fact, there hasn't been a bad plate performance yet, which supports the contention I've been making for awhile that "LL umpires" have come a long way, baby, compared to only a few years ago. Anyone who remembers "lobster claw man" will probably agree.
I agree. The plate umps so far are better than last year's and far superior to those of just three years ago. The work on the bases is a little off, but some of that is probably due to some less than accepted mandated mechanics. However, the missed call at first was just plain horrid and unexcusable.

The next step for the LL umps who are positioning themselves for this level is to begin working on their appearance and conditioning.