View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 05:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
Here in the Seattle area we have observers that rate us and just have a varsity and JV list. Varsity officials rate JV officials while we have paid observers rate varsity officials. We then use interpolation and spit out an average. Top 7 JV officials move up to bottom of varsity while bottom 7 varsity move down to top of the JV list.

Curious as to what they do in Wisconsin, anyone know?
Wisconsin? We solicit our own games from schools and leagues. The state has 6 levels of officials and only L5 and Master (the top 2 levels) can work playoffs. To be Master (you can only increase 1 level a year, 2 if you attend a clinic), you only need score 90 on Part I and Part II open book, attend a state meeting, send everything in on time, and have a schedule of 16 varsity dates.

It was my 3rd year here before I became playoff eligible and my 4th before I became Master level even though I've been officiating since 1987.

The coaches rate officials on a scale of 1 to 6 for each game and they send those out in the summer. Not sure how the state uses those ratings and how much weight they receive.