View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

My association ranks you as sub-varsity, swing, varsity. Swing means you are varsity qualified, but your schedule is usually more non-varsity than varsity. As a varsity official, I am not rated as ladies vs men. A varsity official does both -- and IMHO, that is the way it should be. My varsity schedule last year was about 60-40 to the ladies' side and I had some really good teams. Because of the number of schools we have to cover, on some nights I will work a freshman game at 1 school and a varsity game at another school, or work the freshman game, sit out the JV game, and work the varsity game at the same school. The coaches are not allowed to rate us, but they can scratch 2 officials for the year. Each varsity official rates his/her partners each game. Near the end of the season (usually the next to last week), we submit ratings to the assignor, with copies to the association VP (also handles training) and once the season is over, I get a rating telling me where I rank within the varsity listing -- i.e., number 22 of 100.