View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

In Texas, officials earn points...0-74 is Div. 5…75-299 is Div 4…300-749 is Div. 3…750-1499 is Div 2 and 1500+ is Div. 1.

Points are earned as follows:

Attend State Meeting = 25
Regional Clinic = 15 (Max 1 per year)
TASO Camps = 5 (Max 2 per year)
District Meeting = 2 (Max 2 per year)
Test Score = 8 (90+), 4 (89-80), 2 (79-70)

Maximum of 60 points from these, to which is added 2 points for working a 3 hour scrimmage, 1 point for each sub-varsity game and 2 points for each varsity game….Max of 100 points per year.

As for the type of games…in my chapter D5 and the low end of D4 get strictly sub-varsity at the small schools and/or lesser programs…upper D4 and lower D3 get sub-varsity at the larger schools and a LITTLE small school and/or lesser program varsity…upper D3 and lower D2 get mostly varsity at mid sized/mid level schools…extreme upper D2 and D1 get the big schools/upper programs.

Obviously there are exceptions. There are some officials in our chapter that have a lot of experience but, for whatever reason, cannot document “points” from another area or state. They will get what the Assignment Secretary feels they can handle. Similarly, if he thinks you have stepped up your game to a point higher than your point total would suggest he adjust you schedule (this is what I am hoping for). You may also get a “test” early in the season by having him put you with a strong partner(s) in a bigger game to see what you can do.

Many in our chapter complain about their schedule but I think he does a fair job. I usually tell the complainers to do what it takes to improve your schedule or stop complaining. I know what was working against me last year and have taken a lot of steps to fix those problems. Early feedback at camps has been very good. My best chance comes in three weeks when our chapter puts on their three-whistle camp.