View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
"1.) Is it true or is it myth that a new pitcher must throw at least 1 pitch to a batter if he throws one warm-up pitch.
Rich has already said that throwing a warmup pitch is not required, but the pitcher would be required to pitch until the batter at bat (or his sub) reaches base or is put out, or until the third out is made. The pitcher may be removed before the above criteria is met if he is becomes ill, is injured, or ejected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
2.) This question pertains to travel ball mostly but I have been told it is in OBR. Is there a rule that prohibits a pitcher from returning to the mound? ie. Starter leaves mound with 2 outs and SS goes to mound. Next inning the starter returns to the mound and the SS back to short. Again with two outs they switch positions. I have been unable to find anything in OBR that states a pitcher can not return to the mound. Only thing I can find is that he must leave the mound if the coach visits twice in one inning. "
The pitcher can only return to pitch once per inning. F1 pitches to first batter, then he switches with SS. SS gets 8 warmup pitches. He pitches to one batter, then they switch back. F1 gets 8 more warmup pitches. He pitches to a batter and then they switch again. SS gets 8 warmup pitches. The original pitcher is done pitching for that inning. He has returned to pitch once in the current inning. He cannot return twice. Original pitcher can return to pitch for the next inning.