View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Isn't PU the UIC in a two-man game

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Pete;

...For choice 2, the Smitty, I face on rare occasions. Since I am senior in my association, the Smittys are junior to me. If at all possible, I stick the Smittys on the plate and go camp in right field between innings. For one in particular, I tell him before the game, that if he starts any problems, I will over rule him. Some of our senior umpires tell this umpire that if he throws someone out, they will review it and put him back in the game if they do not agree. This Smitty is a real piece of work.

Peter
Obviously this particular guy is a true Smitty in all its forms. I don't know how he can be overruled on an ejection regardless who the UIC is. Most of the two-man games I have done the PU is by default the UIC regardless of experience. If he was a total rookie and made a key error, I would try to speak with him and let him know of his error and the need to correct it.

I have had some real questionable partners but I seem to be able to officiate with just about anyone. Most of the games I do are at the Connie Mack level and the better umpires are usually my partners.

Usually I like to stay after a doubleheader and have a beer or soda while just unwinding. I prefer to be with umpires who want to shoot the breeze for a while. Coincidentally they are usually the more competent guys. Jim/NYC