View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

My limited Little League experience

When I first started umpiring, I started in Little League. My first time carrying the stick, my first time hearing, "C'mon ump!" from the bleachers, my first time beating myself up over a blown call, and my first ejection (which was particularly sweet because I was 16 years old and ran the manager a.k.a. my father ), all happened in Little League.

That being said, when I began my obsession with umpiring and put the time and effort into moving up the ladder, Little League slowly faded into my rearview mirror. I still "volunteer" every spring in my local league. I used to attend the district "umpire" meetings/training sessions. I've even held rules and mechanics clinics for the local league with minimal participation from the group of guys who work the most local games.
Come district tournament time, I always contacted the district UIC and informed him of my willingness to work these games (for free). The only restriction I placed on my availability was that he contact me with dates 2 weeks in advance so that I could schedule my HS and NCAA games around LL because I didn't want to turn back these games, pay a fine and pi$$ off my assignors. In 4 years , I was contacted exactly 1 time to work a game in the district tournament. The call came around 3:00 for a 5:00 game. I already had a game scheduled that night, and graciously declined. His response was, "You said you were available, and now all of a sudden you're not?" It was obvious that he was calling me as a last ditch effort to have the game covered.

I no longer contact Little League and beg to help out. If they call me and I'm available, I'll do almost anything to lend them a hand. But, unfortunately, they're not interested, so why should I keep knocking on their door?