View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Steve did an excellent job, even after the runner accosted him rounding 1B. What really caught me I was the cheshire-like grin on his face for the following five minutes

What Steve didn't tell you was that I watched that play from the door of the area where the umpire "social" was being held. Here are all these umpires sitting around eating pizza and drinking whatever and I couldn't to anything until this game was done! That had to be the longest two innings I've ever witnessed

The caliber of umpiring was pretty good. Most crews held pre-games, but many were short and sweet with little content. These umpires worked the mechanics as ASA taught and many looked like they worked together on a regular basis, though I tried to avoid creating that situation when possible. When they variated, nothing was really left uncovered.

Most complaints about umpiring were baseless and more whine than substance. Most coaches were pretty good, but there were the bad apples. The guy Steve dumped went right to the top of my hit list after my conversation with him. I think he paged through the rule book and declared himself "educated" though the only thing he has gotten right is that rule 6 involves pitching.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 02:43pm.