View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo_Blue
I'm sorry, I should have specified OBR.

Steve, In a sitch like this, don't you feel that the contact, if made, would contstitute a physical assist. We are talking about a coach deliberately placing himself in front of the runner to stop the runner. This would not be a train wreck or an accident, this would be deliberate contact designed to stop the runner from advancing and force them to return to third.
I agree that Steve's conclusion of a train wreck is questionable. Here's a similar caseplay from Jim Evans' Baseball Rules Annotated:

Runner on 1st. The batter smacks a line drive base hit into the gap in left center. The runner flies around 2nd and is determined to score on the play. The3rd base coach is pointing for the runner to stop at 3rd. Seeing the runner is not going to stop, the coach gets in the runner's path home and is run over by his charging player. Both fall to the ground. The runner gets up and barely gets back to the base ahead of a tag. What's the call?

RULING: The coach's action should be considered physically assisting. He probably prevented his player from being thrown out at home. However, the runner is called out for his coach's actions. The B-R returns to the base
last touched at the time of the collision.