View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 05:05am
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, I should have specified OBR.

Steve, In a sitch like this, don't you feel that the contact, if made, would contstitute a physical assist. We are talking about a coach deliberately placing himself in front of the runner to stop the runner. This would not be a train wreck or an accident, this would be deliberate contact designed to stop the runner from advancing and force them to return to third.

"It is also common practice for a coach who has a play at his base to leave the coach’s box to signal the player to slide, advance or return to a base. This may be allowed if the coach does not interfere with the play in any manner."

I guess to me the coach was interfering with the play in some manner. He moved in front of the runner.

Dan, One could argue that his moving to block the base bath was a physical act vs. a verbal act. Therefore he was physically assisting without actually touching.

My question should have been, Is there any official interp or AO or case play that defines physically assist as requiring contact, or does the physical act of deliberately blocking the runners path so that it is physically impossible for them to proceed qualify as physically assisting?

I can see both sides of the argument, but didn't know what info was out there that I just don't have or know about.