View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 11:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
No it doesnt. I know by LL rules they have to make contact in order for interference (and runner being called out). I wouldnt rule it interference, but i would ask the coach to stay in the box, where he belongs. And you kinda answered your own question. "Physically Assisting" was contact made? No.
Well, not only would contact need to be made, but that contact would have to actually physically assist the runner in returning to have interference. If the runner just runs into the coach, and knocks the coach down, or they both go down, there is no "assistance" given, and no interference called.

If the coach were to actually push the runner towards the base, or grab him and pull him towards the base, then it is interference. Mere contact alone does not qualify as interference.

You also cannot tell the coach to stay in the box when a play is going on, and a runner is rounding 3rd. Coaches are allowed to leave the box to signal to the base runners. Even before a pitch, the coaches are traditionally allowed to be slightly outside the lines of the coaching boxes, unless the other manager complains, then the base coaches from both teams must stay inside the boxes. But the umpire does not go out of his way to enforce this without prior complaint from either team.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 11:37pm.