Thread: Pre Game
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
Never? Here's a situation for you. Last seconds of a game, it is a 2 point game, shot goes up .... There is a significant travel that for some reason partner didn't see, but the other referee(s) did.

So after the game, your assignor comes in and says great game up until that travel that we didn't get. They ask if anyone else saw it. Yes, I saw it, but I was told at camp, NEVER call traveling in front of my partner. The assingnor says that you all were in line to get some really good playoff games until that moment. That just doesn't fly in this situation. Never is too restrictive and not realistic. Sometimes the C/T officials' primary call is a travel in the post in front of the L. This is something that I cover in pre-game, halftime, and at deadball periods late in close games. Better to be good, than to look good in this situation.

I realize that this next comment is likely to draw criticism, but in talking with various assignors that I work for about this situation, "get the play right, and worry about calling in front of your partner later." The assignor would rather you do this so that they don't have to hear about how the ref's missed one.

I agree that "never" is too restrictive. There are times when an official's primary or secondary coverage area might be in front of a partner. That being said, I think Dave Dow's evaluator probably meant that you should not call a travel that is right in front of your partner when it is not in your primary or secondary coverage area. And I agree (with the exception of an occasional sub-varsity game when I am helping train a brand new official who needs my help in his/her area).

The assignors I work for expect an official to be able to call an obvious travel in their own area. In the end-of-game situation that you bring up, they would want to know why the responsible official missed the obvious travel. They would not want the other two officials ball watching out of their areas.

My assignors expect the other two officials to trust their partners and watch their own areas. What's the point of having 3 officials on the floor if we are all watching the same thing? Who is watching the other 8 players?

Calling a travel that is out of your primary or secondary coverage area is a great way to expose yourself as a ball watcher.

Z