Thread: Pre Game
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dow
.... Never and I mean never make a travel calll in front of your partner.( can be brought up at half time or the at the closest break)
Never? Here's a situation for you. Last seconds of a game, it is a 2 point game, shot goes up .... There is a significant travel that for some reason partner didn't see, but the other referee(s) did.

So after the game, your assignor comes in and says great game up until that travel that we didn't get. They ask if anyone else saw it. Yes, I saw it, but I was told at camp, NEVER call traveling in front of my partner. The assingnor says that you all were in line to get some really good playoff games until that moment. That just doesn't fly in this situation. Never is too restrictive and not realistic. Sometimes the C/T officials' primary call is a travel in the post in front of the L. This is something that I cover in pre-game, halftime, and at deadball periods late in close games. Better to be good, than to look good in this situation.

I realize that this next comment is likely to draw criticism, but in talking with various assignors that I work for about this situation, "get the play right, and worry about calling in front of your partner later." The assignor would rather you do this so that they don't have to hear about how the ref's missed one.