View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

This from Jim Porter's recent thread on returning

My Umpire-in-Chief was the plate umpire. He started right in on me with that call when we talked next to his van as he took off his gear. I didn't want to talk about it there, but he's kind of an old stubborn fella, and he loudly expressed his dislike for the call.

The aforementioned statement got me thinking about:

What do you do when you are assigned with someone whom you dislike? In all walks of life there are certain people whom we just can't get along with (for whatever reason), however, we have to learn how to deal with them.

We all have jobs, and I bet we could name "right off the top of our heads" those individuals that make us "cringe" when we have to deal with them because we know it will not be easy.

In addition, especially when dealing with a "top dog" or UIC in a way it's similar to dealing with one's boss.

As we all know, regardless of our feelings towards one another, it's very important that we get along on the Field and cover each other's back I'm certain when we played the game, there were individuals we didn't like and hang out with after the game, but when we crossed the white lines we were one.

Therefore, what do you do when you are assigned a game with someone you dislike or do not get along with? Suppose as in Jim's case that partner is the UIC?

Here's 3 categories I would like comments on:

1. There are those partner's whom we do not get along with but are good umpires meaning they conduct themselves professionally on the field.

2. Probably the worse case scenario - We do not get along with a partner who happens to be terrible. In other words not only do we work the game with "Smitty" but we can't stand him either. We find ourselves constantly "backing him up" but when the role is reversed "Smitty" will stab us in the back

3. Probably the hardest to get around - We do not get along with the UIC or Assignor who also happens to be a "top dog" - Do we just suck it up and go with the flow or do we shop around for another association. What if this association is the only game in town

I look forward to your input - Thanks

Pete Booth