View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

After further review - snap muffed by holder

Sorry for restarting a threat - but I think we have to reopen our discussion about a snap muffed by the holder. After actually studying the rule, rather than just reading the change - it is clear that many of us had it wrong.

The rule in question is 4-2-a-2. The rule states the ball remains live if the holder "rises and catches or recovers an errant snap...." The words "or recovers" are this year's addition.

The NOTE has not changed - it still says the ball is dead if the holder "muffs the snap or fumbles and recovers after his knees have been off the ground, and he then touches the ground...."

In the explanation of the rules on page 83, it states the holder is "now allowed to recover a short snap that bounces high in the same way a high snap is handled."

I hope our rule interpretation meetings make it clear, but it appears to me that if the ball bounces before it reaches the holder, he may lift his knee to get the ball and then go back down. However, if the snap reaches the holder and he simply fails to catch it, he is not allowed to do that.

Comments, please?