View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 08:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu1
As the new Trail following the ballhandler up the court with no pressure, when the ballhandler is walking it up, don't walk up with them.

An observer said to me, "You have to stay behind the ball, but if they're walking it up, you don't want to walk with them. Coaches hate seeing us walk. So, wait and give them a second or two to get a few strides ahead of you. Then jog up behind them. Coaches see you running up and it just looks better."
Well.....

1) You may have to stay behind the ball, but you also have to put yourself into a position where you can always see the separation between the dribbler and the defensive player. Sometimes that might mean being almost even with the dribbler. I let the defense dictate my position instead of following a hard-and-fast rule of always being behind.

2) Who cares what coaches think? And if anybody really thinks that coaches are watching the officials on this play instead of the ball, defense, etc.- well, you may want to re-think it.

3) What difference does it make if the trail is in position, and is also moving to stay in position? You should hustle to get into position and you should also hustle to stay in position. Anything else is just false hustle imo.

Jmo, but I wouldn't worry about those instructions that much.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 08:23am.