View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't know if anything was said. It was the penultimate game of the night and I'm not even sure they were being observed anymore.

Ok, one more story about camp. Again, I'm not sure you'll find it funny, but here goes. To tell you the story, I have to tell you this story first. Two years ago at this same camp, in my last game of the camp, I was the C in transition. No real pressure in the backcourt. The dribbler is bringing the ball up, defended by one guy. I'm moving upcourt with the play, the T has the backcourt count and our Lead is on the endline in the frontcourt. Since there's no pressure, I turn for a second to see if there's a matchup on my frontcourt block. When I turn back (literally 1.5 seconds), the dribbler is on the floor and the defender has the ball. No whistle from the T, I didn't see anything. Tweet, here's a whistle from the L on the endline. He looks at the T and me, like, "Do I really have to take this?" At the next break, the T says, "I'm glad you grabbed that", etc. So now every time I see that ref, I hear a lot of abuse about making sure I have a L who pays attention in transition, blah, blah, blah.

Ok, fast forward to this year. That same ref is working the game I talked about at the beginning of the thread. So after the game, he comes off the court, and I go up to him and say, "Vinnie, what the he!! are you doing on this court?!?!" He gets this look of absolute panic on his face. "What do you mean?"

I said, "It's the last game of camp. What if I needed you on court 4 to save my @$$?!?!" This look of relief came over his face and he looked at me like, you son of a. . .

It was pretty funny for 10 pm on the 5th day of camp.

Last edited by ChuckElias; Sat Jul 29, 2006 at 07:39am.