Thread: "Ballgame!"
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I honestly believe you need to go back to the top of either thread and reread the posts. The question I raised was that there are people who honestly believe that the umpire is required to declare a ball game is terminated. This belief is the point that I noted as a myth.

I asked if any other association with the exception of NCAA instructs their umpires to make such a declaration.

Absolutely no one has mentioned that they do not use the verbiage because the book to which they refer does not tell them to do so.
Might read the OP... the entire "Question" raised is where this "custom" comes from despite the fact its not in the lil book.

Its not a myth IMO.. some may misunderstand the rule, but I've never had a coach come up to me at the end of a game and say "you didnt say game over the games not over" .. in the way I've had them come up and say "hands are part of the bat"

In any case,

I contend that the "custom" comes from the fact that MOST games are ended this way because:
a) it's not 7 inning game
b) the ump starts the game so some wording should be used to end it.. "closure"
c) just because.. maybe a lack of rudeness as opposed to just wandering off the field without saying something.

To me its entirely irrelevent that:
a) an appeal could be made - thus the game would (possibly) not be over. Thats well known so that would just be handled as an appeal.
b) its not in the book.. so what?

Guess what? I further abuse my authority in timed games beyond just saying "ball game", I usually give a 10 or 15 min warning to both head coaches.. its not in the book, but I go out on a limb and do this just because. The rampant disregard for ASA rules in regards to ending a game begins 10 mins before I call "ball game"

Last edited by wadeintothem; Fri Jul 28, 2006 at 08:48pm.