Thread: "Ballgame!"
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

"Ballgame!"

I am just wondering, after reading the other thread where this became an issue, how many of you utter these words, or words to this effect, to indicate the end of the ballgame? I see absolutely no point in it.

As a matter of fact, just yesterday, at the conclusion of my first game of the day(I was PU), I walked over and began to gather up my water bottle and ice chest with cold towels in itm and began to head to the winning dugout to exit the field with my partner. My partner, coming in from the field said to me, "That's ballgame, partner." I replied, "Yes, it is." He then asked if I was going to verbally indictate that. I pointed to the girls, who had already lined up and begun their "good games" with each other, and stated, "Why? They already seem to know it."

It made me wonder then, and after reading that other thread today, just where did this custom arise? It isn't in any of the umpire manuals, other than the already mentioned NCAA. (Even at college games, though, I never say it.) I just see no point to it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.