Thread: ASA Blue/Gray
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Some things to think about.

Most softball umpires cannot afford custom tailored pants.

What distinguishes ASA is the logo. I have no problem with the logo on the jacket or ball bag. The idea is to promote ASA.

The Elbeco (button-up) shirts looked bad when wet especially on an oversized umpire not wearing a t-shirt. The new shirts are easy to maintain, but the mesh is too tight and doesn't allow the air to flow through as the Mizuno ISF shirts do.

The ASA staff is moving AWAY from formal. This is reflected from the top starting with the elimination of coat and ties once worn by the NUS for clinics.

I don't care what color the uniform is, the only thing that makes it look "sharp" is the manner in which the individual wears and cares for the uniform.

For my 40 years of umpiring, my preference has always been light blue over dark, baseball or softball, balloon or inside chest protector. I will wear the uniform prescribed by the UIC, but that doesn't mean I need to support it's existence and the reason ASA has it. BTW, what I said earlier was the reason Henry gave me, it makes life easier for the guys working HS. To me, that is no reason to force others to expand their wardrobe.

Also, the UIC at a national will usually wear whatever is prevelent in the region the tournament is taking place.