View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Does anyone think this will provide a disadvantage to team B? If for example they are trailing by 1 with 28 seconds on the clock 1 time out, A has 4th and 15 @ B's 40 - too far to kick a FG, Punt only nets 20 yards if TB - so A decides to run a play and gets 13 yards and leaves ball at the center of the field (leads to quicker ready due to not having to relay ball back to hash marks etc.). Will B be able to get offense set and make a go out of it with the area of 20 or less seconds and the clock starting on the ready? Will they have to use their time out before even starting their possession? I know 20 seconds isn't alot of time, but losing even 2-3 seconds getting set is a big deal at this point. Also will officials counter this by taking their time signaling the ready? Will this be the job of the chain gang to slow things up?

I don't referee football, but I'm a huge CFB fan, and I am concerned on the effect of things like this versus the advantage of speeding up games. I just think this is almost the equivalent of starting the clock the instant a FT in basketball is either good or no good (before touched or before B throws the ball in). Sure it speeds things up, but at what cost? Just my 2cents.