Thread: Catch/No catch?
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

I really am a stickler for rule quotes and yes, there is an exception to rule 9-4-1. Your point is valid and I can see how it could confuse or cause someone to comment further.

It was not my intention to ignore that exception, it was just that in this play we were only talking about a particular pass that was a forward pass.
... and yes I was talking about batting of this particular forward pass in any direction that's why I added it means batting it forward or backward.

I'll be a little more careful next time should I come across a too general of a statement.

I think most of us are on the same page. It's just that most of us may not know that the accepted interpertation of this action described in a recent AR as "propels" has actually been around for a long time. I can recall talking about it during our NCAA rules review/test review as far back as 1997 and again in 2000 and most certainly again in 2001. It's was not new then nor was a rule really a changed. At least now the interpertation is well known, so don't screw it up when it happens in your game. I'll not.