View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 06:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
Jurassic
I am just saying if you give technical foul for that comment you are setting a bad tone for the rest of the game. You are letting both coaches know that the shouldn't even talk to you, that is not a t-able offense in my book. As for the NFHS rulle book section you quoted, give me a break. If we called the game to the rule book every game would take 3 hours and we would call 95 fouls a game. This is way we need "good judgement" to apply the rules in game context.
I still disagree. It's not totally wrong at all imo.

You might be setting a good tone for the rest of that game instead. Every situation is different. In some situations, a "T" might be needed to keep the game under control. And you're also letting both coaches know where your personal line is, not that they can't talk to you. There's a heckuva difference between a coach asking a question and a coach whining about not getting calls. Asking a civil question about a specific call isn't a "T"able offense; moaning about not getting calls could be a "T"able offense. Note that I said "could be", not "is".

"Good judgement" includes knowing when a "T" is needed and necessary also. If you wanna let the coaches work you without any fear of retribution, hey, good luck to you. I sureasheck don't recommend it as a blanket approach for all situations and all officials though.