View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I disagree that it's totally wrong.

That is what coaches do only if the officials will allow them to do that. Whether to let a coach get away with trying to work them is up to each individual official.

Whether an official wants to put up with a comment like that is up to the individual official on the spot. Depending on the circumstances, an official may want to ignore, warn or "T". You just do what you feel is best under those particular circumstances on that particular day. Each official has a different level of tolerance, but a coach really doesn't really have any comeback if he draws an official who happens to be in a crap-free mood. Too bad, too sad iow. After all, "attempting to influence an official's decision" is very specifically noted as being a technical foul under NFHS rule 10-4-1(b).

Jmo, but I don't think that you can set hard-and-fast rules when it comes to calling technical fouls.
Jurassic
I am just saying if you give technical foul for that comment you are setting a bad tone for the rest of the game. You are letting both coaches know that the shouldn't even talk to you, that is not a t-able offense in my book. As for the NFHS rulle book section you quoted, give me a break. If we called the game to the rule book every game would take 3 hours and we would call 95 fouls a game. This is way we need "good judgement" to apply the rules in game context.