Thread: Catch/No catch?
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Catch/No catch?

I was hoping to find someone who recalls a particular play in a bowl game about 3-4 years ago that was featured in Ref Mag. John Bible was the R and the play unfolded as follows (IIRC

QB rolls out toward sideline and comes under quick, heavy pressure. Just before he is hit, he passes the ball approx 20 yards downfield right along the sideline. One of the defensive backs leaps into the air and grabs the apparent interception as his momentum has him floating over the sideline on his way OOB. In an amazing display of athletic ability, all the while airborne and before he lands OOB, he secures the pick then turns his body and laterals the ball back to a teammate in the field of play. His teammate catches the ball and advances a short distance before he is downed. Again, my memory on this is sketchy, but I believe the R called the crew together for an exceptionally long huddle to discuss. In fact, I believe he even went to the HC of both teams (Wake Forest and North Carolina) and flat out told them he needed time to figure it out (both coaches were apparently very understanding as they had never seen such a play either and just told the R to call it the best he could and they would live with it.) Does anyone recall this play/article? What was the final word on this? Thanks in advance....