View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 01:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach
I agree that contact on the ball handlers between the arcs has become too excessive in my neck of the woods. It's open season to bump and reach when the offensive player is dribbling down the sideline.
I cannot speak for what takes place directly in your area, but "reaching" is not a foul. Also if a dribbler is going toward the sideline, the question I have to ask is what were they doing there? Defense is allowed to play the game and defend the movement of the dribbler as long as they do so legally. Not every bump is the fault or caused by the defender. You cannot get a square peck in a round hole and a lot of times this is expected by dribblers and their coaches and they want us to bail out foul.

Quote:
I do find it strange that some people think too many blocks are beng called. I think it's the opposite. It seems that anytime the defender takes the contact in the chest, regardless of if they are moving or leaning or took the position after the offense player jumped, they get the call.
As said before, it is legal for a defender to move to maintain position as long as they have established legal guarding position. Also as a guideline, when a defender has maintained LGP and takes contact fully in the chest, then that is more than likely going to be called a foul on the ball handler.

Quote:
The calls that got me the most this season and maybe you guys can help me understand, is when my post player is being forced out of the lane by a defender who is all over their back and they give a little chicken wing with their elbow too hold them off - whistle - offensive foul. Not saying it's not a foul on the offense, but was there more of an emphasis to watch the offense closer and not so much the displacement by the defender?
Well I will say that I think officials do not do a good job at calling the first foul. But with that being said, a lot of times both players are doing some illegal things and it is not called. I can tell you I have called many fouls on the offensive player and I have gotten more crap for that. I think we too often give the offensive player the benefit of the doubt when the defender did everything right. Maybe the officials in your game called fouls on the offensive player because they felt your player caused most of the contact. For all you know the officials might have passed on the first contact by your guy, passed on the second contact by the defender, then got your player for the 3rd action. I was told at a camp this summer that if you miss the first foul, miss the second foul and make sure you get the third foul.

Quote:
Has high school adopted the "wait and see" foul calling method too now? I for one don't like it.
Well I do not know what you mean by a "wait and see" method, but if an official is doing their job they are not going to be so quick to call a foul when there clearly is no advantage. For example I am not going to call a hand check when a player clearly gets by the defender and makes an easy play. Or I am not going to call a foul when a shooter clearly was not affected by the contact and could complete the play. Now the more years I have, the more my whistle is much slower than it was at the beginning of my career. Now that might not be a philosophy you do not accept, but I can tell you this is what is wanted by many assignors and higher level officials. In my opinion this is the only way to do things if you want to call the game properly.

Peace