View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stardog
I am sure you are correct. I am just overreacting.

Here is what the American Academy of Pediatrics has to say about the issue.

"The AAP estimates that in 1995, emergency rooms treated 162,000 baseball, softball and tee-ball injuries to children ages 5 to 14 years old. Although it is rare, children have been killed while playing baseball: between 1973 and 1995, there were 88 baseball-related deaths of children. Most (43%) of these deaths occurred when a ball hit a child in the chest. About 24% of the deaths were caused by a ball striking a child's head. There have also been reports of spine injuries to children who have slid head-first into a base."

I would hate to be the one who told one of these kids to take one for the team. I agree it happens all the time.
Wow, you gave stats. So we're all convinced you're right.

Obviously 4 deaths per year in the US over a period of 22 years is a tragedy, not just to the individuals involved but to society as a whole. Of course, before we submit your name for a Nobel prize, can you tell us how many of these 88 deaths over a 22 year period were a consequence of a coach yelling "take one for the team Billy!!". I'm sure the Nobel committee wil ask.

And for completeness and comparison please provide stats on the number of deaths by lightning during baseball games for this period.