View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach

I do find it strange that some people think too many blocks are beng called. I think it's the opposite. It seems that anytime the defender takes the contact in the chest, regardless of if they are moving or leaning or took the position after the offense player jumped, they get the call.
Where you may be confused is that there is NO requirement that the player be stationary...they may be moving when contact is made and still draw the charge. This is not new, but surprises a lot of people who learn the "rules" from the wrong places.

Even leaning can be ok if the lean isn't what is creating the contact. If the contact would have been the same or worse withtout the lean, I reward the defender.

As far as getting to the position late...again, the player doesn't have to be still, just in the path before the contact. If they're backpeddling in the path, it is not possible to have a block. If there is contact sufficient for a foul, it can only be a charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach

The calls that got me the most this season and maybe you guys can help me understand, is when my post player is being forced out of the lane by a defender who is all over their back and they give a little chicken wing with their elbow too hold them off - whistle - offensive foul. Not saying it's not a foul on the offense, but was there more of an emphasis to watch the offense closer and not so much the displacement by the defender?
Well, my guess is that the two players were leaning on each other...usually what I see. Then one of them takes a much more agressive action. It could be chicken wing, a knee in the butt, or any number of actions. Most will allow some amount of leaning on each other but when it escalates, it will draw a foul on whoever ups the ante first.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 06:59pm.